Sunday, March 6, 2016

Machala - How a city has transformed

Machala 06
Machala city hall
It was 2007 when I was the very first time in Ecuador. I don't remember the month, but I guess it must have been February or March, because I surely remember that it was terribly hot. It was already a while that I was in the tropics the last time. And in Germany it was winter at this time. Though, it was really a heat-shock. 

It was a business trip when I received at Guayaquil international airport with a colleague from an other company. Only three or four days where planned for the stay in Ecuador, just enough to fix some problems. I did not see much from Guayaquil itself because I was tired from the long flight. I just realized that it was obviously a very modern and European like city.

Machala 09
Banana tree with fruits and flower
We got picked at the airport for the transfer to Machala in a Minibus, which was organized by the company in Machala. It was a very interesting ride over about 3,5 hours. Most that was to see were Banana plantations. Everywhere green and bananas. I was never a real friend of bananas, but it shall change years later.

Arriving in Machala in the region “El Oro” (the gold) showed a quite busy city, which was bigger than awaited. “El Oro”, the gold has two different and logical meanings as one can imagine. One is the golden color of the bananas, which made the region quite rich compared with the rest of the country. “El Oro” is the biggest closed area of banana plantations in the world. Most of the production is exported to Europe, but also to Russia and some Arab countries.
The other meaning of “El Oro” refers to the gold findings in the highlands of the region. 

At least I did not see a lot from Machala during my first visit while I was working all day. But I remember that it was not really in a good infrastructural condition. Tons of cables over the streets. Typical old American style electrical installation. Electricians need days to find a
Machala 07
Old American style cabling
shortcut anywhere in the cabling. The streets were also not really in a good condition, but at least still better then elsewhere. The harbor where the night life happened and still does was also not really a hit. But finally I loved the heat, the sun and that I was in Latin America, even if it was only for a very short time.

I came back to Machala in 2011 and had a little time to see some more of the city with the support of a wonderful friend there. There were some things and locations I spontaneously remembered and some new and nice spots I got to see. The central park was constructed completely new. Lots of parks and places were already renewed or still under construction. Street by street from the center outwards were renewed. Since that year I came back regularly to Machala, while I was living already in Peru. Every time I went there I saw more and more of the renovation of the whole city and also the public part of the harbor with all the restaurants and pubs. It was quite impressive to see all these changes and how the city got renovated completely new. The main roads and the whole center has a wonderful illumination at night. Each tree has its own colored lights. All parks and places are new, very clean and wonderful to see. 

Machala 05
Renewed park in the city of Machala
A few weeks ago I was in Machala the last time. Lots of things are still under construction and will be renewed. But I can tell you that Machala is a visit very worth. Very friendly people, beautiful places in the city and a green and interesting nature directly till the city limits.

You can visit banana and cocoa plantations and work there to learn how it is produced. I will tell you more about this in a later post.


{to}





Machala 01
Machala Central place
Machala 02
Years ago in the center of Machala
Machala 04
Nice fried fish with fried bananas
Machala 03
Bolivar Harbor, Machala
Machala 10
Bananas for the world, Harbor Bolivar
Machala 08
The new Central place at night
Machala
Banana plantation
Machala
Banana harvesting
Machala
Banana packaging for exportation
Machala
New Central place in Machala
Machala
New Central place in Machala
Machala
New Central place in Machala






No comments: